Sep 2016 – Aug 2017 (1 year)
Project title: "Investigating heart rate variability in schizophrenia patients, first-episode psychosis, and clinical high-risk individuals"
Location: University of Glasgow
Supervisor: Prof Peter Uhlhaas
- Assessing basic symptoms in the psychosis spectrum in young adults
- Assessing sub-clinical psychopathology in clinical-high-risk people
- Conducting structured clinical interviews
- Participant recruitment and screening
- Using magnetoencephalogram-derived data from schizophrenia and clinical-high-risk patients to examine their autonomic nervous system (ANS) activity
- Decomposing physiological data into frequency components and quantifying their relative power
- Database creation and maintenance for the storage and analysis of longitudinal data from cognitive tests, clinical interviews, and neuropsychological assessments of hundreds of clinical participants
🔬 Jul 2015 - Aug 2015 (1 month)
Summer Internship at Lifebank Laboratory Ltd, Cyprus
I was an intern at this biotechnology and molecular diagnostics company, where I gained a deep understanding of the company's operations in areas such as stem cell banking and DNA-based diagnostics.
- Stem Cell Banking: Understood the process of cryopreserving human tissues and stem cells for future therapeutic applications, gaining insights into the cutting-edge techniques utilised in this field.
- DNA-based Diagnostics: Gained exposure to advanced molecular biology techniques used for the detection of genetic disorders and viral infections in human samples.
- Laboratory Operations: Engaged with the work at Lifebank's company-owned laboratories, learning about the practical aspects of running a high-tech biotechnology lab.
- Acquired a comprehensive understanding of the practical applications of biotechnology and molecular diagnostics in the healthcare industry.
- Participated in the company's mission to continuously innovate and improve its services, gaining insights into the process of research and development in a fast-paced biotech company.
- Strong understanding of biotechnology and molecular diagnostics, with practical exposure to stem cell banking and DNA-based testing.
- Solid understanding of the operations of a modern laboratory in a biotech company.
- Knowledge of the continuous innovation and research processes in a leading biotechnology organisation.
🏥 Jun 2015 - Jul 2015 (1 month)
Summer Internship at Ygia Polyclinic Private Hospital, Cyprus
I gained invaluable experience and honed my practical skills by shadowing the dedicated nursing staff and resident doctors. Through completing 100 hours of clinical rotations across a range of departments, I developed a comprehensive understanding of hospital operations and patient care.
- Clinical Rotations: Gained exposure to diverse medical settings, including the Paediatric ward, Medical Oncology Centre, Surgical ward, Laboratory Department, Radiology Department, Intensive Treatment Unit, Casualty, and Endoscopy.
- Patient Communication: Learned how to effectively communicate with patients in a medical environment, ensuring their comfort and understanding of treatment procedures.
- Practical Skills: Enhanced my practical abilities in various areas of patient care. This included measuring vital signs, giving intramuscular injections, implementing principles of infection control, and safely handling and mobilising patients.
- Laboratory Skills: Developed skills in performing urinalysis and urine culture, as well as monitoring blood glucose levels.
- Successfully completed 100 hours of clinical rotations across eight different departments, showcasing my adaptability and eagerness to learn.
- Developed strong practical skills, particularly in patient care and laboratory procedures, which will serve as a solid foundation for my future career.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills, learning to communicate effectively with patients and healthcare professionals in a fast-paced hospital environment.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to clearly and compassionately explain medical procedures to patients.
- Strong practical skills in various areas of patient care and laboratory procedures.
- Adaptability and eagerness to learn, as demonstrated by successful clinical rotations in multiple departments.
- Comprehensive understanding of infection control principles and patient safety measures.
👩⚕️ Sep 2012 - Apr 2013 (8 months)
Internship as a Child Therapist Assistant the Child Development Centre "To Alma", Cyprus
The centre provides comprehensive Early Childhood Intervention services for children aged 0-6 with developmental delays, diagnosed disabilities, or significant risks of delay, fostering their overall growth and development while supporting their families during the critical early years.
- Shadowed Speech, Occupational, and Physical Therapists, understanding their unique methodologies and approaches.
- Assisted in providing early childhood intervention services to children aged 0-6 with developmental delays, diagnosed disabilities, or at risk of delay.
- Contributed to the family-centric approach of the centre, facilitating parent involvement in therapeutic and educational decision making.
- Multi-disciplinary understanding of child therapy interventions.
- Knowledge in speech, occupational, and paediatric physical therapy.
- Competence in providing support and guidance to families.
- Familiarity with the assessment and therapeutic intervention processes.
- Successfully contributed to a multidisciplinary team focused on improving the quality of life for children and their families.
- Gained comprehensive understanding of the role of ECI in child development.
- Developed practical skills and theoretical knowledge in child therapy, which prepared me for a future career in the field.