Neuroscience Postgraduate Student Representative
Oct 2019 – Sept 2020, University of Sussex Students' Union
- Represented all Neuroscience PhD students, collecting and presenting feedback to university staff.
- Addressed student-related issues such as study spaces, assessments, deadlines, and other academic experience factors.
- Participated in the Periodic Review for Life Sciences panel to review the quality and standards of the School’s educational provision.
- Organised the Life Sciences PhD Symposium 2020 in collaboration with other student representatives.
- Served as a panel member on various university and school-level committees.
- Elected by peers for representation, demonstrating trust and confidence in my leadership.
- Received the Student Rep Bronze Award for my engagement and commitment.
- Successfully organised a significant academic event, the Life Sciences PhD Symposium 2020, in collaboration with others.
- Contributed to the improvement of the educational provision's quality and standards through strategic reviews.
Founder and President of the Glasgow University Organ Donation Society
Jan 2016 – Jun 2017, Glasgow University Students' Representative Council
- Established the society with affiliation to the university's Student Representative Council.
- Formed a crucial partnership with the Scottish Government’s National Health Service (NHS).
- Aided NHS in enhancing donations to their Blood and Transplant Department by spreading awareness about the need for more organ donors.
- Successfully established a society focused on a critical social cause.
- Contributed to an increase in organ donations through targeted awareness campaigns.
- Built a strong partnership with a key government health service.
Living Support Assistant
Sep 2015 - Jun 2018, Residential Services, University of Glasgow
As a Living Support Assistant (and later promoted to Senior Living Support Assistant), I played an integral role in fostering an orderly and supportive environment within university accommodation. This role allowed me to build relationships with students, and provide them with advice and assistance on the nuances of independent living.
- Served as an on-call support for students, responding to a variety of issues that arose, ranging from interpersonal conflicts to maintenance issues.
- Acted as a bridge between students and more senior staff, facilitating effective communication and swift resolution of any problems.
- Participated in regular meetings with the Warden and Senior Living Support Staff, ensuring that all relevant information was efficiently circulated and distributed to residents.
- Managed a variety of administrative duties, such as maintaining necessary paperwork, responding to emails in a timely manner, and assisting with key handouts and information distribution.
- Consistently provided a quick response to emergencies and unexpected issues, using my knowledge, experience, and judgement to make appropriate decisions.
- Successfully maintained discipline within the residence according to the University Policies and Disciplinary Code.
- Actively participated in training to acquire additional skills, including becoming a Qualified First Aider.
- Supported new students during their initial weeks, facilitating talks to provide advice and guidance on adapting to their new environment.
Life Sciences Undergraduate Student Representative
Sep 2014 – May 2015, Glasgow University Students' Representative Council
- Elected by my peers to represent all second-year life sciences students.
- Represented student voices at staff-student liaison committee meetings and other smaller gatherings.
- Facilitated constructive communication between students and staff, providing feedback for course improvement.